In February 2022, the City of Luxembourg will begin redevelopment works on Montée du Grund and Rue Large. These works are being carried out by:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Department of Streets): Replacement of paving stones along the entire road surface. Separation of the roadway and the pavement through the installation of a gutter made up of a double row of paving stones. Creation of a pavement that is level to the roadway. Installation of a 2 m parking lane marked by a single row of paving stones.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Complete replacement of the principal gas main and replacement of home utility connections that have deteriorated.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Replacement and upgrade of the public lighting system, and replacement of street lamps.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement and extension of the deteriorated power network. Replacement of home utility connections.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz:Replacement of gas mains and private connections.
- Post Luxembourg: Replacement of old cables with optical fibre and replacement of connections to houses.
Commencement of work: February 2022
Expected duration of the works: 340 working days
Planned completion: September 2023
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected sections will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. Montée du Grund will be closed to traffic during phase 1 of these road works. Rue Large will also be closed to traffic during phase 5. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works. Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works. As construction progresses, there will be changes to the flow of traffic in this area.
For public-transport users:
Progress to date
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: September 2023
What work has already been completed?
On-site inspections are underway.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes
- to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you have any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please contact the services below, which are open 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel.: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel.: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel.: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel.: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel.: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City of Luxembourg has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in meetings regarding the progress of the work. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, these meetings may only include a limited number of participants and will take place only if all other avenues for resolving a situation have been exhausted.
Nevertheless, such meetings may be organised if needed. Alternatively, a site meeting with the City of Luxembourg works coordinator and other project partners can be organised upon request. Please get in touch with us if you wish to meet with our project supervisors.
Weekly site meetings
The date will be published shortly.
An information session for local residents was held on 20 January 2022. A presentation of this development project is available below.
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Construction mediators
|VDL – Service Voirie:||Sébastian Schinner||4796-3879|
|VDL – Service Eaux||Tom Wagener||4796-4334|
|VDL – Service Éclairage public||Daniel Perrard||4796-4989|
|Creos Électricité||Claude Almeida||4796-5727|
|Creos Gaz||Carlos Simoes||4796-5816|